Iran announced on Tuesday that it had arrested those suspected of having a role in the shooting down of a Ukrainian passenger jet last week, as anti-government protests sparked by the incident raged for a fourth day, Reuters reported.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said in a televised speech on Tuesday that the “tragic event” would be fully investigated. “Iranian armed forces admitting their mistake is a good first step … We should assure people that it will not happen again,” he said, according to the report.
Meanwhile on Tuesday, France, Britain and Germany formally triggered the dispute mechanism in the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal between Iran and the P5+1 nations, according to Reuters. In a joint statement, the four countries said they still seek an agreement with Tehran and are not part of the American “maximum pressure” campaign.